Thursday, August 02, 2007

hmmm

I haven't done this for a while, and I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to write about, but I'm thinking about taxes and health care and farm subsidies, so we'll see where this goes.

The farm bill pisses me off. Am I against small farmers? Not at all. Am I against wealthy people receiving my tax dollars as subsidies because they own farm land? Very much so. It irks me that I'm paying taxes that are going to people who certainly don't need them. I wrote my senator to tell her that I wanted to see this changed about the farm bill and she didn't write me back.

I also don't like that fact that tax rates for the very wealthy keep dropping. There are too many people living in poverty in this country to let the rich keep more and more of their money. People argue that to be able to provide health care for everyone we would all have to pay a lot more taxes, but if we would just raise the tax rate on the wealthy, the government would have a lot more money to help out those who don't have much. Kudos to people like Warren Buffet and Bill Gates who are more generous than most and who are using a lot of their money to help people, rather than just a small percentage.

Oh yeah, I just read that Barak Obama thinks we should intervene in Pakistan to attack the terrorists there if the Pakistani government doesn't do more about it. Not sure I like that idea.

Well, that's all for now, I'll try to make it more of a habit again.

I just started reading a book (upon my mom's request) called "Four Views on Salvation in a Pluralistic World" so I'll probably have some interesting things to post from that soon enough.

Peace

No comments: