Wednesday, September 26, 2007

I should blog more

Throughout the day I often have ideas of things I'd like to blog about, and as you can see, most of them never make it this far. I need to figure out a way to remedy this.

One thing that came to mind the other day: the average American drives about 25 minutes to and from work everyday. This is kind of hypocritical of me to talk about right now, since my commute is temporarily longer than that, but that won't last for long. This seems quite ridiculous.

That's 208 hours a year spent commuting for the average person. What I could do with 208 extra hours....

That's over $1000 spent on fuel (depending on the vehicle you drive, a Prius would use about half that). I could go for an extra grand right now.

Since we can't rearrange the whole country to set things up a little better, we should build better public transportation. It's much easier to utilize your time while on public transportation than while driving, it is a lot friendlier to the environment, and it would save money in the long run.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

*nods in hypocritical agreement as well*

Unknown said...

It would be nice to have more public transport, but that's another conversation...

I have about an average commute...about 30 minutes each way. However, [most of the time] I love having that commute. Why?

My commute gives me time to think...alone. I shut everything off and relax.

My commute in the morning gives me a clear separation between home and work. I can focus on where I'm going in the morning and focus on getting out of work mode in the afternoon.

My commute lets me keep up with friends...cell phones are great for some things. (Of course, my forthcoming brain cancer is another problem...)

My commute helps me educate myself. It's a guaranteed time--usually alone--that I use to listen to audiobooks, learn languages, etc.

Sometimes I do feel it would be nice to live closer than where I am. However, most of the time I really enjoy the drive.

Public transportation could still allow a lot of these things to happen and there are lots of times it would be really nice. However, that's a whole different problem.

Cost? I was actually figuring this out last night on my way home from work.

I spend about $6 a day on gas and general maintenance. That doesn't include vehicle purchase price or big-ticket repairs. I haven't averaged those in yet.