Sunday, March 11, 2007

back at it...

It's been a while since I've written here, but I figured it would be a good way to share some of my thoughts and such in addition to the mass e-mails I'm sending. I'm going to try to do this about once a week, so we'll see how that goes.
This weekend I left San Lucas for a few days with some of the other volunteers, and we visited Panajachel and San Marcos, which are also on Lake Atitlan. It is super beautiful here, and if any of you want to get away for a little while, you should come down here to visit. You could work with the mission for a little while, and then we could do some sight-seeing type stuff, I guarantee that you'll enjoy it.
Things at the mission are going pretty well. Like any organization, it isn't perfect, but I think I'm learning a lot about how to do something like this on my own in the future. I've been considering that lately...moving to Central America and doing something that gives people decent pay and helps to better their lives a little.
One thing I've heard about since I've been here is that Coca-cola has apparently done some pretty bad things in Central and South America. I haven´t had the time to research it yet, but I would encourage you to do so and to start buying Pepsi products instead. I'll keep you posted when I learn more about this.
We had a group here from Loyala-Marimont (sp?) in L.A., and one of the girls asked me where my service emphasis comes from if I'm not Catholic. I didn't know that Protestants got such a bad rap...something for us to think about and keep working on I guess.
I've been doing a lot of reading here and I've finished "The Brothers K" by David James Duncan, "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance", and "A Prayer for Owen Meany", and I would recommend all of them. David James Duncan is simply amazing...Zen and the Art is a bit different, but I thoroughly enjoyed it, and Owen Meany is a quality book as well, though it didn't quite live up to the buzz that I had heard about it-definitely still worth reading though.
That's all for today.
Until next week...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So what exactly are you doing in Guatemala? And for how long? Sounds like a beautiful area! Enjoy it!

Malinda